Coconut Brown Rice Pudding with Rosé Rhubarb Sauce (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Coconut Brown Rice Pudding
- ½ cup short grain brown rice
- 2 cups + ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, dried coconut*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract ¼ tsp sea salt
Rosé Rhubarb Sauce
- 1½ cups fresh rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup unpeeled apple (about 2 small), cored and cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp Southbrook Triomphe Cabernet Franc Rosé wine or water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
To prepare the rice pudding: Combine the rice with ½ cup water in a medium pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes on low. Keep in pot and set aside.
In a Blendtec or other blender, combine coconut and remaining 2 cups of water; blend on high for 1 minute to create the coconut milk. With a fine-mesh sieve, strain the coconut “milk” into the pot of par-cooked rice. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. While cooling, stir every so often. Meanwhile, make the Rosé Rhubarb Sauce.
To prepare the rhubarb sauce: Combine all ingredients in a medium pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often, until fruit is tender.
Serve the rice pudding warm with warm sauce, or cover and refrigerate for 4 hours until both are chilled and serve cold.
*If you don’t want to make the coconut milk, simply use 2 cups pre-made coconut milk beverage (not thick canned) or almond milk.