Any rich, savory entree is even better eaten with good bread. Here’s a easy garlic bread recipe that makes a loaf of store-bought bread extraordinary by the addition of herbs and feta cheese. Goat cheese, or chevre, would be as good, but the bread will be a little milder. This makes a fast, easy, portable accompaniment to serve anywhere, anytime, with most any dish for dinner or lunch.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. dried fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 fresh baguette or Italian bread
- 1/4 lb. feta cheese, crumbled.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor or with a hand blender, process the olive oil with the garlic and the fennel seeds.
- Toss the parsley and thyme together in a separate cup.
- Cut the bread into diagonal pieces about 1-1/2 inches thick; don’t cut quite all the way through.
- Brush the cut sides lightly with the herb-garlic oil mixture, then sprinkle a little of the herb mixture and feta cheese between the slices.
- Seal the bread in foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Unwrap and serve hot.