This is a large batch of Chili (Don’t know how to make small batches of chili that tastes like chili).
Serves 15 to 20 folks…
depending on how hungry they are.
This is NOT for the faint of heart!
You’ll need 10 lbs.
Flank Steak or other course/short fibered beef
(A chuck roast will also work, if it’s a thin cut.)
(Venison will work also, but you will need to add more Pork.)
- 1 – 2 lbs. of Pork Side Meat or Salt Pork (Diced)
- 6 – Large Bermuda Onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 – Green Bell Peppers, Chopped
- 6 – Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
- 10 – Dried Green Chili Peppers (New Mexico Greens) .
- 8 – Dried Red Chili Peppers
- 3 – 15 oz. Cans Cooked Diced Tomato (Drained)
- 2 – 15 oz. Cans Tomato Sauce
- 3 to 7 Tbsp. Chili Powder – season to taste
- 3 tsp. Cayenne Pepper Powder
- 3 tsp. Course Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Paprika
- 3 tsp. Oregano
- 5 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 3 Tbsp. Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. Thyme
- 3 or 4 Bay Leaves
- 8 to 10 Cloves of Garlic, Finely Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 Qt. Water or Beer (Add more if chili gets too thick)
- 6 to 8 Tbsp. Masa Harina
NOTE: Cut the meat, across the grain, into strips 2 to 3 inches wide.
Put meat, onion, bell peppers, chilies, garlic, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce in a LARGE slow cooker. Cover with liquid.
NOTE: Break dried chilies into inch square pieces (You can use canned chilies, but they are not as hot so add more).
Cook over low heat until meat can be forked into small pieces (3 to 4 hrs depending on the cut of beef).
NOTE: Transfer all ingredients to a large stock pot if slow cooker is too small (Remember this is a large batch of chili).
Add remaining ingredients (except Masa Harina) and stir well.
Continue to simmer over low heat until meat is tender (2 to 3 hours).
Add Masa Harina slowly to thicken. Simmer until desired consistency is achieved. Consistency should be that of a hearty stew.
NOTE: Taste often to insure desired results (don’t be afraid to add more seasoning).
NOTE: Remove Bay leaves before serving.
Suggested Garnishes for Red Chili Soup Pork:
- Graded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sliced Jalapeño Peppers
- Tabasco Sauce to taste
Suggested Side Dishes:
- Pinto Beans
- Jalapeno Cornbread